Are you ready to buy fireworks direct from China?
Retailer, wholesaler, jobber? Just in the USA there are an estimated 25,000 seasonal fireworks locations that spring up for the 4th of July and New Years Eve. Over half of them are fundraising efforts for scouts, schools, churches, sports organizations etc. and many more are small to medium sized family businesses. If your one of them and business has been growing, locations expanding, how do you compete with the big guys?
Your likely buying from a domestic distributor at “wholesale pricing” but what is the next step? Everyone wants to import direct, cut out the middleman! Unfortunately, for fireworks it is not so easy. Below are some points on whether you are, or are not ready to try importing on your own.
- Cost. An average container of fireworks costs between 25 and 30 thousand US dollars, and another 10 thousand US dollars in freight to get to your door. This is paid before the fireworks can ship.
- Variety. Most Chinese suppliers have a MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity) per item between 20 and 50 cartons. This means an average container only has around 50-60 items on it, and even these are not favorable orders. The big distributors are ordering hundreds, and often thousands of cartons of the same items.
- Risk. Many government departments have authority to randomly hold, inspect and ever reject a container coming into a country. This needs considered as the buyer takes possession when the container loads in China and the risk transfers.
- Storage. To comfortably store 1 container load of fireworks, it usually takes 2-3 additional containers for storing and working. Also can require additional government approvals.
- The beginning importer should, at a minimum be selling 5,000 cartons or more annually, before importing even one container is recommended.
Please email us if we can help through our contact page at Mad Ox Fireworks!